Monday, July 27, 2020

Hazy IPA V5.0

Brewed another batch of my Hazy IPA, I've been able to get pretty consistent and repeatable results so far.  Some final tweaks after this brew and I think it will be fully dialed in.

Recipe Specifications:
  • Batch Size: 5.00 gal
  • Strike Water Temp: 160°F 
  • Strike Water Volume: 7.25 (Use less next time)
  • Mash Temp (Goal):154°F
  • Total Mash Volume: 9.5  gal, literally to the rim...
  • Mash Time: 30 Minutes
  • Boil Volume: 6.5 Gallons
  • Boil Time: 60 Minutes
  • Sparge Water Temp 170°F
  • Sparge Volume, 1/2 gal
Ingredients:
  • 11.0 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
  • 1.0 lb Flaked Wheat
  • 1.0 lb Flaked Oats
  • 0.25 lb Dextrapils
  • 0.25 lb Crystal 15
Total Grain Weight: 13.0 lb
  • Wyeast 1310 London III Ale Yeast
  • 2.00 oz Galaxy  Hops
  • 2.00 oz Amarillo Hops 
  • 2.00 oz Citra Hops 
  • 2.00 oz Comet Hops
Starter Procedure:
Wednesday July 22, 2020 I made my standard starter and placed it on the stir plate overnight. I forgot to add FermCapS so I had a major boil over all freshly cleaned stove...

Brew Procedure:
      Friday July 24th, 2020, I brewed. Using my previous recipe I added a little bit to the strike water,  apparently 7.25 gallons is too much though because it was literally to the top rim of the kettle.
     Brought the mash water up to 160°F and added the grains. After 15 minutes I checked the temperature with two different thermometers and realized my floating thermometer was extremely inaccurate when I checked against two different thermometers that were pretty close still. so I will need to get a better thermometer.  At 15 minutes I tied the grain bag off put it inside the kettle so it didn't melt, and added some heat, bringing it back up to 160°F. The rest of the mash went pretty smoothly.
     After my last brew I purchased a ratcheting pulley system so I could drain my grain bag without having to hold it above the kettle.  This made a huge difference in how easy it was to get all that sugary water from the grains.  It also allowed me to do a pseudo-sparge by pouring 170°F water over the suspended bag.  This seems to have resolved my low boil volume issue. And preboil volume was 6 gallons.
     After mashing I completed the brew using the following schedule:

Hops/Ingredients Schedule:

QuantityIngredientBoiled For
1 tsp.Yeast Nutrient Last 10 min of boil
1.0 oz.GalaxyLast 10 min of boil 
1.0 oz.GalaxyWhirlpool 
1.0 oz.AmarilloWhirlpool 
1.0 oz..CitraWhirlpool 
1.0 oz.CometWhirlpool 
1.0 oz.AmarilloDry Hop 
1.0 oz.CitraDry Hop 
1.0 oz.CometDry Hop 



I cooled the wort and pitched the yeast into a 5.5 gallon fermentation bucket.  Measuring the OG to be 1.055 with my new graduated cylinder I got last after the last brew.

Notes:
  • Mash temperature issues before were likely exacerbated by a faulty thermometer.
  • Need some items for next brew
    • More Accurate Thermometer, My floating thermometer reads much hotter than my two others. I ordered a ThermoPop Open Box digital thermometer.
    • Containers for Brew day, and Starter Day supplies
    • Carabiner for suspending grain bag with pulley hook




No comments:

Post a Comment